Thursday, May 23, 2013

My experience making a video


This year as my role as the Provincial Eating Disorders Awareness (PEDAW) campaign coordinator, I was given the exciting opportunity to make a video on eating disorders, body image, self-esteem, and media awareness to be sent across the Province of BC.  There are several reasons why a person can develop negative body image, especially since we receive constant messages that a ‘perfect’ body can yield happiness, success and even love. The consequences of negative body image can be devastating: low self-esteem, low self-worth, and even developing an eating disorder.  My overall goal for this video is rather simple: to make people feel better about the body they have right now and ultimately prevent eating disorders.  I only had one thing standing in my way from making this video absolutely extraordinary: I knew nothing about video production!  With the help of volunteers, students, and colleagues, I was able to reach my goal and complete the video

Here were the steps I took:

  1. Came up with the message (positive body image!) 
  2. Created a script
  3. Editing of the script
  4. Created a story board
  5. The filming
  6. Editing
  7. Voice over (more difficult than you’d think!)
  8. More editing
  9. Choosing a soundtrack
  10. Even MORE editing
  11. DUNZO!

Here is what I learned:

•Never shoot a video with a single battery. Always have a back-up. Always.
•Carry snacks with you at all times, especially on shoot day.
•The answer will always be ‘no,’ if you don’t ask.
•Prepare! Prepare! Prepare!
•Always have several copies of the script on hand
•Never stop trying… just do what you believe.


Love Our Bodies, LoveOurselves is a 24 minute video designed to promote conversation about how we feel about our own bodies.  I hope my video will encourage you to think more critically about what it means to live in a culture where media encourages us to have a negative body image, and discuss ways to overcome this. 

AND THAT'S A WRAP!!

**Please email me at pedaw@mail.com if you would like a sample lesson plan to go along with this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.