Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year Resolutions

New Year Resolutions

 It’s 2014!!  What a wonderful year to new beginnings, fresh starts, and renewing your commitment to recovery!  This time invites us to think about the state of our lives and how we’d prefer them to be.  This can be a time for healthy reflection and rededication to our priorities.  I think the best resolutions you can choose are those that support your best way of living and add a healthy energy to your life!  Remember, resolutions are about developing yourself and nourishing your mind, heart and body.  They are about helping you become more sturdy, healthy, enriched and competent in this world.  They are about opening your mind and heart to the beauty in people, the world, and to yourself.  Before you make your commitments, make sure you run a clarity check on every resolution.  Ask yourself: Is this resolution coming from my eating disorder or is this resolution coming from the healthy space in me that wants to thrive and prosper?  This clarity check can help you to have a truly happy New Year!  Here are some ideas:

*I will be kind to myself.  Talk to yourself as you would talk to your best friend.
*I will dress with self-confidence.  Focus on how the clothes fit your body, not on how your body fits the clothes. 
*I will keeping a journal of gratitude.  You might write, “Today, I’m thankful that I had an awesome day with mom,” or, “I’m thankful that I kept a positive attitude, even though it was a rough day.” You can elaborate as much or as little as you want -- but resolve to write every day or at least a few times a week!
*I will compliment myself at least once a day.  Consider keeping a journal of daily compliments!  How great to read that by the end of 2014!
 *I will make time to meditate each day.  Try starting with 5 minutes in the morning, and 5 minutes at night.
*I will stop comparing myself to others.  This is a good one – you have no idea what their journey is about.
*I will smile and laugh more.  You have a beautiful smile, use it!
*I will protect myself from the diet industryIgnore it – this multi-billion dollar industry is utterly toxic. 
*I will to take up a new hobby.  Why not take a look at what your local community center offers!
*I will acknowledge my successes --- big and small.  Celebrate even your small successes! 
*I will ditch the scale.  Although it has its purpose, the scale takes on a life of its own, and often takes over ours. Everyone’s weight has ups and downs. Don’t let the scale determine how you feel about yourself, what kind of day it will be, or whether you can allow yourself to do something you want to.
 *I will stop obsessing about food.  Imagine you have no issues about food, eating, body image or weight. What would it be like? Pick a day to act “as if” you have no issues about food or eating. Experience it and know what it can be life.
 *I will catch the negative body talk.  It’s pervasive, and we are often unaware of how frequently it occurs. You may choose to count how many times a day you engage in negative body talk, or simply to label it and stop it. The point is to not continue these statements that sabotage our self-esteem.
 *I will affirm myself.  With all the negative talk, thoughts and actions, the idea of affirming yourself often gets lost. Think of things that are your strengths —what do you like about yourself? If it’s too hard to look at physical characteristics, start with something you like, such as the fact that you are loyal or a hard worker. Eventually begin to add positive statements about your body as well.
 *I will recognize and respond to my needs.  Everyone has needs, and although many people with eating disorders are excellent about taking care of others they neglect themselves. Start by making a list to identify what your needs are. Be specific and realistic. Begin to get these needs met.
 *I will make mindfulness part of my life.  Mindfulness involves deliberately paying attention in a non-judgmental way. Mindfulness practices allow you to attend to what is present for you emotionally and physically in each moment. Try using mindfulness practices to decrease anxiety and to eat in a more aware, deliberate way.
 *I will write a love letter to myself once a month.  Yes, I know it sounds silly, but it’s a powerful experience! You are a gift, with wonderful things about yourself. Make the love letters one you’ve always wanted to receive. Put the letter in an envelope and mail it!

What will your resolution be for 2014?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.